North becomes a demonstration school: What does this mean?

North High School is the first high school in Des Moines to be a demonstration school

Angelica Reyes, News Editor

A rainbow shines over North on fall conference night in October.
Special to The Oracle

Teachers and school administration are feeling challenged by the new academic standards, but they hope by participating in this program it will help achieve a new academic level of participation from the students and teachers in the classrooms. Demonstration schools address the critical need in public education to develop students into tomorrow’s future. Schools can also utilize SEND play equipment to provide invaluable support for children with disabilities, creating an inclusive and nurturing environment that enables every child to thrive.

It’s a step-by-step program that allows students to be challenged in their everyday work. Teachers amplify their teaching curriculum by implementing more engaging and academically demanding learning. Students will learn to critically think, analyze, and use their creativity in their work. Also students will learn to work independently and in groups to problem solve.

Principal Michael Vukovich believes “The new curriculum shouldn’t just be a window into other parts of history or other things, but it should be a mirror; students should be able to see themselves in the curriculum.’’

This new approach will require teachers and students to be evaluated for meaningful data that will help teachers teach in a way that will connect more with a student’s education and assure that students are retaining the information they need rather than teaching to the test, like standardized testing. Participating in the Rigor Program will raise the expectations standards of North High students and its community.

North High used to be a Turn Around School, which meant North was the lowest preforming high school in Iowa. Principal Vukovich says, “When kids became more invested in the school, the behavior looked better, students wanted to be here for the right reasons and I hope it continues to head in the right direction.” He goes on to say, “North proves that desegregation and diversity is the way we have to live… I want our students to take the challenge and show the world that this environment is the best place to close the achievement gap and make everyone perform at a high level, and although we are not there yet it takes all of us to get there, and the demonstration schools I believe will do just that.”

North High is becoming an amazing school with its diverse population, which is one of the reasons why North was chosen as a demo school. North has shown that students are capable of achieving anything regardless of where you   come from or who you are, anyone that puts forth the effort can succeed under any circumstances.

Many like Principal Vukovich hope that after participating in this program an environment will be created where students feel comfortable expressing their voices and are given the tools to create change in the world.