Presidential visit to North enforces education values

President+Obama+and+Arne+Duncan%2C+secretary+of+education%2C+speaks+to+students%2C+staff%2C+and+families+about+college+affordability.+

Colt Wyatt

President Obama and Arne Duncan, secretary of education, speaks to students, staff, and families about college affordability.

Angelica Reyes, News Co-Editor

Colt Wyatt

On Monday, September 14, President Barack Obama and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan came to Des Moines North High School for the Back-to-School Bus Tour. They advocated the importance on secondary education and college application and consideration.

The president spoke about the new program called the College Score Card, which is a new way to inform prospective students about college and making it possible for students to make the right decision that fits perfectly for them. The whole idea of this program is to allow you to make the college decision easy for both students and parents.

College Score Card compares schools based on a student preference from the size of a college campus to the programs offered; it also shows the schools ranking from a two-year college to a four-year college. In addition, it informs people on the cost associated with each college and is frequently updated allowing students to make the best decision that suits them at any time.

“It’s a valuable tool for parents and students,” Obama said.

They both gave great advice to students who want to pursue secondary education. He talked about the importance families play in a student’s decisions and how filling out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is a great way to get grant money and loans to pay college debt.

Obama got a little personal when reflecting on his own children when asked, “what advice can you give to Malia?” He said, “Not to stress too much about getting into one particular college; there are many colleges out there.”

There are over 7,000 college institutions, meaning if you are interested in attending some form of secondary education it is very possible to find a perfect fit. The second piece of advice he jokingly said, “keep grades up until you get in [to college] then make sure you pass.”

Although many think college is difficult nothing is more powerful then an educated mind, which was reinforced in Obama’s remarks.

“Be open to new things; this is the time to experience new things,” Obama said about college.

Duncan and Obama talked about how new experiences strengthen a person, that included meeting people from around the nation and world, learning their stories and visiting new places allow that allow a person to make new memories.

“The whole point is to push yourself out of your comfort zone… Stretch yourself because this is the time to do it. Seek out new experiences,” Obama said.

New experiences open the doors to things you could never imagine at home. Duncan gave his advice, “Keep your opinions open…”

Obama also spoke openly about his mother being a very influential teacher in his life.

“She taught me compassion and caring about people, teachers make you see things you didn’t see in yourself,” he said.

He spoke about teachers being a valuable asset to the classroom. Teachers are really the ones who allow students to see their potential and help them achieve anything they set themselves up for.

After Obama’s visit to North many feel as though he has open the doors for many and has inspired others not only at North High School, but the community also. For more information about Obama’s visit to North High go to www.Northhighoracle.com and follow us on twitter @NorthHighOracle.