Community college: free for all?

Obama plans to make education free for all who are willing to work for it.

Sammi Linebach, Features Editor

What if someone told you that you could have up to two years of free secondary education? Obama has recently offered a plan that allows every American (who is willing to work for it) a free trip to community college for two years. As many questions arise, not many details were revealed at first. The White House estimated that the cost of the program would be “roughly $60 billion over 10 years” and would, if all states choose to participate, include about 9 million students, said an administration official.

The president didn’t dive into the details of his program, but rather made a broader case that attending community college shouldn’t be any more expensive than public high school is today.

Under the White House’s plan, the offer of free tuition would extend to all students if they attend classes at least half the time and maintain a grade point average of 2.5 or better. On a GPA conversion chart, a 2.5 means a B- student. In this case, C’s do not get free degrees.

Other requirements for this program involve community colleges and the Federal Government. The Federal Government would cover up to 75 percent of the costs of the initiative, while states would have to pick up the remaining quarter, if they choose to participate in this program. Community colleges will be expected to offer programs that are either 1) academic programs that fully transfer credits to local public four-year colleges and universities, or 2) occupational training programs with high graduation rates and lead to in-demand degrees and certificates. Community colleges must also adopt promising and evidence-based institutional reforms to improve student outcomes, according to Whitehouse.gov.

The Washington Post referenced Obama as he said, “America thrived in the 20th century in large part because we made high school the norm… eventually the world caught on, and the world caught up, and that’s why we have to lead the world in education again.”

In Obama’s 2015 State of The Union Address, he briefly touched on the topic of free education. Not many more details were given, but before he shifted quickly into employment, he did say he wanted to spread the idea of free education “all across America, so that two years of college becomes as free and universal in America as high school is today. And I want to work with this Congress, to make sure Americans already burdened with student loans can reduce their monthly payments, so that student debt doesn’t derail anyone’s dreams.”

As for now, we can only hope and wait for this to come true. As for my graduating class of 2015, free college seems to be still so far away. As for future graduating classes, hopefully more progress and discussion is made.

One can assume that everyone is on board for free education. Well this “one” is wrong. Change is not a word in the republicans’ vocabulary. Many republicans around the US are criticizing Obama and his efforts to better the lower and middle classes of America. It is said that because of the high price tag, Obama’s plan is unlikely to pass in the republican controlled congress.

It’s not just politics, though. Some say Obama’s plan uses a sledgehammer where a chisel might do. Matthew Chingos is head of education policy research at the Brookings Institution. “It’s going to spend resources out over a large number of students, as a result not be generous enough for people who need the help and be too generous for people who don’t need the help,” said Chingos.
Some claim that the neediest students may not benefit as much from this plan as a straightforward increase to the Pell Grant (A Pell Grant is money the government provides for students who need it to pay for college), as some funds will go to students without financial need.
Some people fear that Obama’s plan may raise taxes on many daily objects to help pay for the program. Although Obama has stated he is raising taxes on the wealthy people, once a new presidential election occurs, who knows what will happen. But those in favor say the plan would more than pay for itself, reducing high school dropout rates and improving U.S. competitiveness abroad.
However, even with all the odds, people around the world are hoping this plan gets passed. This sends a clear message that Community College is an affordable option for all students. Even though tuition and fees make up a small portion of the total cost of attendance—and it is unclear if all students will see additional savings from this plan—telling students early on that tuition will be free may induce more to prepare for college and eventually enroll.