Outlining Our Art Department

Senior My Nguyen has this painting of hers adorning DC Smith’s wall. Photo by Hatte Kelley.

Hatte Kelley and Leah Waughtal

If I asked you about creative arts at North you might think of the theater program, or maybe you might recall the thriving choir program that has put down serious roots. However, you might not know that tucked away in the northwest wing of the building – all forms of art are growing.

To talk specifically, the block seven and eight drawing program has given birth to a lot of beautiful expressions.

These two classes are taught by DC Smith, a fellow who’s quirks make him the perfect art teacher.

“He helps me work on value and he pushes me to make me do more and inspires me,” junior Breonna Harris said.

Junior Autumn Klootwyk said, “He brings me out of my comfort zone, something I hate and need.”

Something Smith does that makes his art programs at North so successful is his ability to push his students.

“He pushes me a lot, to do better, but he also lets me express myself. He has taught me a lot and is my favorite teacher,” said senior Savannah Van De Boe.

Students are prompted with a course curriculum that centers around free drawing. Students are given specific assignments, and guidelines. The latest project was a stipple drawing, which is composed of dots, a meticulous but impressive concept. Students are also driven by the honor of creating something worthy of being showed in an art show.

The students have also been prompted to create their own sketchbooks, and even dabble in painting. They also have been been offered the option to work with oil pastels. Smith allows a wide variety of mediums for students to work with.

“The class (Drawing II) is perfect, and there are no improvements necessary,” Harris said.

Students attempt to express emotions as well, something that can be hard to manage. Harris touches on this issue, “What inspires me most in my joker drawing is my audience, and the evil feeling my joker is portraying.”

Klootwyk bouncing off the concept of inspiration also,

“Honestly, not one single thing inspires me. I see something or a thought comes, and then my art takes off. Although Imagine Dragons song ‘Demons’ has been my most recent inspiration,” she said.

“I really like painting people, in my most recent painting, I was inspired by a picture I found on the internet of a model with lots of special effects,” Van De Boe said. “I liked the way you could see her collar bones and her disinterest.”

The students of North High School are a rare breed. They are creative, brilliant and innovative. They tackle difficult concepts and still keep themselves motivated to create, and pursue art. Because of the atmosphere Smith provides, students are allowed to express themselves. Because of this combination, of dedication, talent, and a creative atmosphere, the art program at North has blossomed. Students look forward to their time spent in the classroom, and inside the pages of a sketchbook.

Instead of the fine arts being just another credit requirement, it instead has provided a healthy outlet for students to explore, and express themselves. North students have a channel that as been cultivated inside of this building, something that has crafted their own hands into not only instruments, but also masterpieces.