Arturo Hernandez

Hatte Kelley

img_1813-900x600Arturo Hernandez has been a polar bear for all four years of his high school career. You can either find him in Rixner’s room under construction, the student center geeking over the arts, or talking with his best friend’s about the universe.

In the fall, he will attend Grinnell college to major in either biology, French, or the Classics. Two of those because he definitely want to double major. He believes that is the way to get the most out of his college experience.

“Even though It’ll be more work I’ll be able to learn and broaden my horizons even more.”

Hernandez’s dream job involves a lot of traveling and speaking different languages. “I can’t exactly say what it is cause I don’t really know, but I know I want it to involve those two things.”

The process of deciding where to go for Hernandez was frantic. “I knew I wanted to apply to early decision because it’s a hard school to get into to, it depends on the pool of applicants in early decision, but usually you have a better chance of getting in.”

“Grinnell has really good financial aid, especially for Iowa students.” So his bases are covered and ready for his liberal arts home run over the next four years.

A great hurdle for Hernandez to overcome was, “Balancing life, work, extra curricular, and grades. Oh, and sleep.” Sleep falling to an after thought is all too often for successful students.

His greatest hardship in high school was close to his heart, literally. “Recently I had surgery, after I had the surgery, I couldn’t lift things. I couldn’t even carry a backpack. So I was really limited physically, and I don’t like to be tied down. So, that kinda sucks not being able to do anything, not being able to work, or extra curriculars.”

Hernandez’s greatest commitment to North High School was its Drama Department. He spent three years in Play Production, the builders of the sets for our productions. “I’ve always been drawn to theater, but I know I’m not an actor. ‘So, hello play production!’. I think the person that made me stay is Taylor, God bless Taylor.”

When asked if he remembered freshmen year, the usual smirk of horror every upperclassmen wears at this question arose on his face. “Not vividly, but I do. I try to block it out as much as I can.”

His wisdom for the freshmen was short, sweet and to the point. “Have fun, and be involved, and make sure you get your shit together.”

He then went on to a more reflective note. “Take advantage of all resources available to you here at North. Teachers especially, they’re there to help you, not there to make your life a living hell, all though it may seem that way.”

Arturo divulged his favorite teacher who he met just this year. “Ms. Schwendau, God bless Ms. Schwendau, I freaking love her.”

As to why, he said, “She makes me laugh on a daily basis, and she’s a great biology teacher. She’s really great at making people understand topics, and she’s probably the one who stays here after school to help students the most.”

What sparked Hernandez’s interest in such a diverse array of majors. “Biology, Ms. Schwendau. French, I know Spanish, so I thought why not take another language since I already know Spanish, French class, and Ms. Rodriguez. Classics, which is studying Ancient Greek, I think, Italian class and a general interest in Greek and Latin studies.”

His advice for soon to be seniors is, “apply for a lot of scholarships, apply to college early, and don’t stress out about it as much as I did.”