The Gender Experience

Hatte Kelley, Editor-in-Chief and Executive Storyteller

Cindy Carrillo, a senior of Roosevelt describes The Gender Experience,”it’s kinda like a drag show, but instead of calling it a drag show, we’re calling it the gender experience because we want to stray away from the problematic atmosphere that drag shows tend to provide; they tend to be trans phobic or sexist.”

Transphobia is defined as a range of antagonistic attitudes and feelings towards transsexual or transgender people, based on the expression of their internal gender identity.

Carrillo continues, “our theme tonight is the empowerment of the oppressed, so we’re really focused tonight on exploring gender, experiencing gender, and empowering trans-youth.”

When asked to define gender Carrillo had to think for a moment and concluded, “Honestly, it just feels like a label, ‘you have a thing and you don’t, you’re a girl, you’re a boy’. Honestly, it’s so much more than that..”

This was Carrillo’s first time participating in any event like it, she was excited, and encourages others to participate in next year’s event, “because I’ve never been to one before, I feel like it would be cool just to see people being transformed like that.”

Carrillo says why one should come out and support, “because they’re people…and they’re oppressed and they need our support.”

An audience member would never be able to tell this wonderful being ever needed any support, the female impersonator Stephanie, walked with a powerful gait and dominated the runway.

Jordan started drag at age twelve and has been performing the craft for seven years now. Stephanie was the most experienced performer of the night and the tallest. He is senior at Johnston High School.

He commented, “shows like this? This would be my first, drag shows I’ve done multiple of.”

He differentiated that, “[drag shows] are more risky! they’re pleasant, but they’re more scandalous,”

Jordan says you should support an event like this,”Because we all have the right to be ourselves. Supporting and being here for this event makes you an open person and more well rounded person when you’re here exploring different things.”

Elliot Smith, a Valley junior attended because,”I think it’s really important to have events like these because they are just so positive in showing the different variations and gradations within the spectrum of gender. Showing that there are happy and talented people within the gradations.”

A daring duo of drag, performed together as Snoop Dogg and Pharrell, they were excited before show time as they painted masterpieces of facial hair on each other.

Mariah White aka Pharrell, an East senior said, “I think it’ll be more inspirational [than a drag show] and more people might actually do this instead of just eighteen and older.”

Mattima Surbeqxu aka Snoop Dogg, a Roosevelt senior said,”People who are struggling right now, because a lot of drag shows are either 18 or older or they are 21 and older, a lot of teenagers and preteens…really need empowerment right now, they can come and see this!”

Finbar, a Rooseveltian sophomore, a pansexual transman is in attendance because,”I am a part of Roosevelt GSA, and I’ll be leading next year, so I’m trying to get into the whole organization experience. So, next years show could possibly be even better.”

Petra Lang, Roosevelt GSA sponsor says,”We provide space for folks to gather, and if they need help organizing or, setting up, or communicating, we do that, but they’ve been so phenomenal. This group has just blown my mind, I’ve never seen another student group like it.

She emits admiration,”they have such amazing leadership, they always have a presence at our diversity assemblies, a wonderful job at that as well.”

She spotlights other successes,”there was a Simposin Professor invited them to speak as a panel to her class.”

Lindsey Smith admits, “I co-sponsored the Roosevelt GSA, the students did all of your work.”

Smith details, “My fears were just making sure everything was still school appropriate, and my expectations were that it would be a great night which it was.”

Jordan Miscu, a junior at Drake and Vice President of the Rainbow Union, “Whit and I set up all the lights and the stages, but really Roosevelt did most of the work.”

Wit Hegarty, Drake junior and President of Rainbow Union,”I was emailing Rosie last year, they did it, but this year was way more developed.”

The Union’s President explains the difference between drag and this event,“Drag Queen is more about expressing femininity how they see fit, and Drag Kings is kind of a silly thing. I feel this was serious and a personal note, for the kids.”

The President’s opinion of student attendance and awareness,“I think it is always important for kids to attend any type of event that’s a part of any underprivileged community, gender’s a thing a lot of people don’t know anything about, so I wish more people would come that didn’t know anything.”

Hegarty comments on how this event might better itself,“More people would be great, the more performances you have the longer the show is, the more stuff you can advertize, the greater message you can get out, and the more voices you can reach.”

Rosie Cook, a Roosevelt and Central Academy senior and the president of the Roosevelt GSA,”We worked alongside [the Des Moines Student Activist Network] primarily in promotion, in terms for this specific event. Primarily with promotion, some of the members in terms of volunteering and documenting.”

She spills her fears,“decorating in time, and making sure things went off without a hitch. Making sure everyone was here and in costume”

Cook accounts the benefits of this event“One, you are helping to support trans youth who would otherwise wouldn’t be able to present as how they feel as they identify due to financial or parental reason; that’s an important part in and of itself.”

Cook finishes with,“Two, the performativity aspect because I feel like it gives people the capacity explore their own gender identity and how that fits within the performance of the gender as well as other people being able to respect how they present and why they present that way.”

There was a table tucked away in the back corner selling t-shirts for the event, and an adjacent table littered with trans-youth supporting pamphlets, survival guides, and bumper stickers all for free. A new and growing culture is being fostered in Des Moines. One of acceptance and understanding, free of judgement.

The Gender Experience has amassed 200+ articles of clothing for trans-youth and are still receiving and collecting donations. To donate a clothing item Rosie Cook or Kai Greiner through facebook or via email at [email protected].

To become more involved and possibly donate any amount one can go to the Trans Youth Equality Foundation website at transyouthequality.org. To see what else is yet to come from the fantastical Roosevelt GSA and Drake’s Rainbow Union, follow the facebook page of the Des Moines Student Activist Network and follow on twitter @DURainbowU.