Meet Number 20

Emily Yin is into everything from Movement 515 to varsity basketball

Sophomore+Emily+Yin+-+Photo+by+Kelsey+Ambrose+

Sophomore Emily Yin – Photo by Kelsey Ambrose

Kelsey Ambrose, News Editor

Meet number 20 on North’s girls’ varsity basketball team: Emily Yin.

Yin is a sophomore and plans of going on to the University of Iowa after high school.  She plans to study medicine.

She likes going to workshop for Movement 515, a place to go after school on Thursdays at North to write poetry, and to learn how to speak and write about everyday topics together. Along with being very passionate about Urban Leadership, a new class at Central, Yin is very committed to being in school, doing well and keeping her grades high in order to reach her after high school goals.

Basketball is also a high priority. As a guard on the varsity team at North, she takes basketball as another thing to do extraordinary on.

“I’ve played my entire life, it’s a good stress reliever and I love it. I go to school, come to practice and I go home, so you can say it keeps me out of trouble, and it helps me focus on school. If I don’t do well on school, I can’t play,” Yin says.  “What really makes me play is when my cousin Kevin passed away…it really motivated to play, because he wanted me to do well in life and succeed. He wanted the best for me,” Yin added.

Yin is 1 of 3 siblings.  She has two brothers: 1 older, and 1 younger. She is a loyal fan of the Chicago Bulls and she loves to eat.

“My favorite food is everything. Hot wings, pizza, fries, everything that makes you fat. It’s weird though because I’m not fat,” Yin said.

Yin has a good head on her shoulder with a lot of great and highly set goals that she’s sure to accomplish. She’ll surely be one of the most successful students in the class of 2016 with the mindset she’s got now.

“How do you succeed? You have to have a positive attitude and do what you gotta do. You might not like it all now, but it will really help you later on in life,” Yin says.