The Athlete’s Dilemma: Filling up the Team

Michael Pham, Social Media Director

In the past few decades, North High School Athletics has not been the greatest. Many of the Polar Bear athletic teams have had a losing season, year after year. It is believed that North is the worse school in the 4A division in all athletics excluding basketball. Every team that plays North may look at us as just another game they have to play. Some schools may circle it and call it an easy win. For the last four years I have been at this school, North has taken a change in many things. New faces, new coaches, new jerseys, a new team, it gives the Polar Bears hope.

What I have seen in most sports is a lack of participation from boys and girls. North has always had a problem in the numbers area. North is in fact a smaller schools compared to the others in the Metro Conference but we have students that just don’t come out for the team. The fact that North doesn’t always win supposedly gives them a reason to not come out and play, not be a part of a team. Athletics at North High School are more than just a team, it’s a family, a brotherhood. We look out for each other.

A football team with 23 people on it, and many of which are playing both sides of the ball is never good. It is exhausting whether you condition your body or not. It wears and tears your body and spirit away. Its not the coaching that makes us lose, it’s not the players that makes us lose, it is the lack of participation and the lack of confidence that comes with a losing record. If injuries do occur, you won’t have as many players to substitute in.

IMG_8351I play on the varsity boys’ basketball team for the Polar Bears. One thing I have noticed with this team is the change it has brought. One year, the team goes 3-18, two years later the boys finish the season with 13-10 record. Above .500, and looking to improve. We walk into a school’s gym with everything against us, the majority of the crowd going to the opponent’s side, the referee’s not wanting us to win. Nobody wanting us to win. No one wants to see us, North High School, win a game. They want us to fail. Some of the games we play in, home or away, there is always something that has to be against us. Whether it’s the referees, ourselves, or the other team, something always comes up.

In the 2012-2013 basketball season, we played Southeast Polk, a game that we were never expected to win. Bcmoorerankings.com projected us to play under our ability and lose that game. Home and away sides of the bleachers were filled with black and gold. Just a few stand out green and white could be seen. They had the home team advantage, the crowd, the whole upper hand. We played above their expectations and won that game by 10 points, 63-52. We came in with a desire to win, and a confidence level that was above what they expected.

I believe North can progress in athletics as they have in academics. It takes commitment from the students, staff, and coaches. The numbers in participation increases, the more substitution that can be available. The one to one help from teachers and study tables can provide help for student athletes who have a busy-some schedule. The staff organized encouragement for students such as pep rallies, getting people involved. That all can make a turn around.