Graduating Early

Sammi Linebach, Features Writer

Many people think or believe that graduating early is a mistake. But do they even see it from our point of view? Yes, I am a junior graduating early. Is it so wrong to call me a senior? Is it so wrong that I consider myself a senior because over 50% of my classes are generally senior classes and I am graduating with many of my senior friends.

No I am not under the senior tab for the school, I won’t be switched over till next semester. So does that make me a senior then? When I’m classified as one with the school inventory? Or is it more of a personal opinion with everyone? Call me a junior, call me a senior, does it really even matter what class I am associated with as long as I’m graduating for a better future?

I’m trying to graduate early for myself. Not for anyone else. I want to take a year off and save up my money so I can go to a good college worth going to. I want to be something in life. I don’t want to be that one white girl who some people liked in high school.

I want to graduate so my future is something I can look forward to. I am bored with high school. If I stayed another year, I’d be taking classes I have no interest in taking. Therefore, not trying as hard.

I want to graduate because I want to get out. I want to get out of high school. I want to get out of my house. I want to get out of this life and just escape into my own wonderland of love and curiosity. I have only been out of state at most 3 times. I want to go explore for my own self interest.

All my life, I’ve been restricted for my own good. I’ve had a curfew all 17 years of life. I’ve been able to only go hang with certain friends whom were approved by my parents. I’ve only been able to go so far in town with or without supervision. Getting questioned for everything I do and everywhere I go.

I’m ready to leave. I am ready to start my future the way I please to do it. Without restrictions, without questions on where I’m going or how I’m going to do stuff. And especially without expectations on what I may or may not come back with.

So to those who look down on me for graduating early, look farther down upon me because it’s not even your choice, it’s mine. You can tell me it is a huge mistake and you can try to convince me with persuasive evidence. However, at the end of the day, it’s my decision and you can either be my friend and support my decision or you can ignore me and everything I do.

Will it be hard to move on without my friends? At points, I may regret my decision. But whoever doesn’t have any regrets never really did anything worth doing in life. I barely have classes with my junior friends anyway. And it’s not even like once I graduate, I disappear off the face of the earth. I’ll still come to school activities such as football, basketball, softball, etc.

My Northside North High PolarBear pride will never die out. I’ve always been apart of school spirit, each year more than the last. I’ve helped much with school activities and I am just ready to go. I’ve done my job, I’ve served my purpose, I’m ready to go out on my own. Either your with me or you’re against me.