Girl, You So Short

Kelsey Ambrose, News Editor

image

A day in the life of being short is pretty normal; it’s really not that big a deal.

4’10” is short for being in high school. It’s like everyone walking next to you is towering over you. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I won’t grow to be much over 5 feet tall, if I even reach that far. So I should just stop thinking one day I’ll wake up and be an average height.

Some girls complain about being tall and how that’s a struggle; I don’t think you understand a struggle until you have to use a step stool to see yourself in a mirror to brush your teeth. That’s a struggle.

Have you ever tried to find me in student section pictures? That’s like trying to spot Waldo in one of those “Where’s Waldo” books, it’s not all that easy. It’s also hard to see the action at a game too. Being at the movies is a little difficult when someone sits in front of you, but why someone would choose to sit in front of someone when there’s 100 other empty theater seats around? I don’t really know.

Then there’s the jokes people make. Personally, I think they’re funny but guys, come up with new ones! The usual ones are getting boring. Yes, when I drive I can reach the pedals and I can see over the dashboard, occasionally with help from a pillow to sit on but 60% I can do it on my own.

Oh, yeah and guys… When you bump into me and then say “oops I didn’t see you down there” that’s a good one, but that one has been used too much and it’s not so funny anymore.

It isn’t that bad being short, it does have it’s advantages at times. For example, I have really small feet which means I can buy my TOMS for 10-dollars cheaper at the Kids Foot Locker instead of the regular Foot Locker. Then there’s the times when tall people have to duck down because they’ll hit there heads on something, I don’t have to. I can just walk right through because I don’t even come close to hitting my head.

No, I’ll never be able to dunk a basketball, be a super model, reach the top shelf at a store without some help, and I might not ever be able to ride ALL the rides at an amusement park but I can guarantee you that I will never hit my head on a tree branch hanging low.

So shout out to my dad’s DNA for making me so short, and I guess my mom too for at least trying to give me some height but as you can see it didn’t really work…