North vs. Valley at State in 2017

Laura Christensen

James Deng keeps the ball away from the opposing team and looks for a teammate to pass the ball to.

Laura Christensen, Co-Features Editor

On March 8, 2017, the North High Boys Basketball team went to the Wells Fargo arena to verse the defending state champs, Valley.  North had a season record of 18-5 then 18-6 after a tough loss at their first state game in 26 years, losing only by two points.  North has not been to state since 1991 and made a great comeback the last few years and were determined to make  it to state this year.  With the help of the head varsity coach, Chad Ryan, and all the other coaching staff, the team accomplished exactly that.  From the start of the season to the very end, the boys have worked extremely hard to get where they did.  At Wells Fargo, the stands were filled with students from all over DMPS, families, and faculty to cheer on the North High boys. All around Des Moines there was support from all the DMPS schools and had signs such as “Go Polar Bears” or “Beat Valley, North High!”  Although the team didn’t quite beat them, they put up a good fight and kept Valley on their toes the whole game keeping the score relatively close. The ending score was Valley 57 and North 55.  The Bears had a great season and will continue to get better in the years to come.