North High auditorium welcomes estimated 100 alumni, students and families

Community townhall meeting discusses the budget cuts and school funding for North

Cheyann Neades, Managing and Online Editor

Frustration, curiosity and optimism filled the North High auditorium as students, administration, community members, educators and district members joined for a townhall meeting on February 8 at 5 p.m.

The community gathering discussed the topic of the lack of funding given to schools across the district by the government and how cuts at north will be made. These cuts will affect the drama department, fashion, business, and family consumer science classes in the upcoming 2016-2017 school year.

The meeting began with host Michael Xayavong (class of 15 alum) stating his opening remarks and how the arts in his school career made him who he is today, a freshman at Columbia College in Chicago studying musical theater.

Soon after, a panel of speakers gave their input on fine arts in secondary education and the benefits they create for every student. The panel included North juniors Krystal O’Morrow, Triet Ly and Cassady Kelly. There was also an educator/mother Kristen Van Dyke, her son Adam Van Dyke, 7th grader at Harding, North senior Yanet Valasquez and North Principal Michael Vukovich.

For a transition, a video of students involved in the arts was shown on the display screen to express the true value of electives on students’ lives.

Following the personal stories was a Q&A involving the audience. Comments, questions and concerns about school budget cuts were made by many Northsiders, most addressed to Principal Vukovich.

“Unfortunately I am not in control of how much money is given to us by our state legislator and that is why these tough decisions had to be made,” Vukovich explained.

After many administrators and alumni spoke the night ended with a link to sign the “save the arts” petition and how all involved in the meeting could be contacted.

If you would like to petition in hopes of saving the arts and elective classes you can check out this website: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SaveNHSTheater.

For a thread of tweets during the townhall, please visit The Oracle’s Twitter feed from February 8, https://twitter.com/NorthHighOracle.