North students hold peaceful protest

North High students peacefully protest recent police brutality cases on Friday, Dec. 12.

Reagan Clay, Reporter

North High students held and participated in a peaceful protest during lunch on December 12. Many students from different grade levels held up signs varying from, “WE WANT JUSTICE” to “WE SHOULDN’T HAVE TO DO THIS”.

North High students were peacefully protesting in rage of the Ferguson court case decision and police brutality around the U.S. recently. People around the country have been protesting since August 10 after Michael Brown was fatally shot by Officer Darren Wilson in Ferguson, MO. After a jury decided not to indict Officer Wilson, the protest escalated in Missouri, sparking unrest in other major cities.

The students showed support for Brown and the other cases like his, such as Eric Garner, an African American who was choked to death by a New York police officer named Daniel Pantalio. Officer Pantalio was not indicted either, signaling an uproar again.

Freshman Mataia Stigler said, “I’m more connected to it because I’m African American. It’s a message that needs to be shared.”

North High students are fed up with the lack of intuitive following the three police brutality cases. Students lay down by the polar bear in the lobby holding signs in protest. Junior Madison Cox said, “It’s important, very important to me. It’s 2014, we shouldn’t have to worry about police brutality.”

Simple peaceful protests like this one held at North bring attention from not only ones surrounding the event, but also to people who posts such things on social media. To help bring more attention, an individual can partake in such protests, write a letter to congressmen voicing their opinion, or even donating money to organizations helping this issue.