Gender Expression Show forms inclusion and positivity

North’s Gender Sexuality Alliance hosts first ever Gender Expression show

Cheyann Neades

The Gender Expression Show ended with models displaying outfits and LGBTQ+ pride items of choice that fit into the theme of “patterns and pride” on April 15, 2017 in the North High auditorium.

Cheyann Neades, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Art, pride flags, and models were some of the many portions that filled the first ever Gender Expression Show by North’s Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA).

The show was to educate the audience on topics of sex, gender identity, expression and challenge the negative effects of societal standards regarding gender/sexual identity.

Senior GSA leaders Elizabeth Folkers (also emcee for the event) and Krystal O’Morrow led GSA members to planning the event. The details included recruiting models/volunteers, purchasing makeup, collecting student art, creating a powerpoint full of media, and finding a theme for model’s outfits to relate to.

The Gender Expression show ended with speaker Nathan Ritz informing the audience on gender identity and expression, followed by a “patterns and pride” theme portion for models to wear outfits of choice and pride items to display expression and support the LGBTQ+ community.