Muhammad Baig

Alexis Barnes, Reporter

Muhammad Baig who goes by Talha is a junior foreign exchange student from Peshawar, Pakistan. He is in Des Moines because he wants to learn the American culture and ways of life.

“I came to America for the culture experience, not to study,” Talha said.

Talha was born and raised in Peshawar therefore this is his first time in America. Talha has two older brothers and one younger brother who he sometimes misses, along with his parents. He copes by watching funny videos.

He said relationships differ in the US than in his home country.

“The concept of boyfriend and girlfriend is very new and different from Pakistan. In Pakistan you have to hide your boyfriend or girlfriend because it is against culture. If you are caught you will get beat. Also, women can drive and ride bicycles in America. They cannot do that in Pakistan,” he said.

Talha hopes to accomplish better confidence, leadership skills, communication skills, at speaking English and public speaking. “I hope to return to Pakistan as a leader,” Talha said.

Talha has a thirst for knowledge for American culture. What Americans call pajamas, it is regular attire in Pakistan, he said. “I am afraid to wear clothes from my culture because they are like pajamas to Americans and I am afraid of being made fun of,” Talha said.

His favorite thing about America is the food because it’s very different from Pakistan’s food; his favorite food is tatertot casserole. He mentioned our eating timeframes are different from Pakistan.

Talha explained classes are very different from Pakistan as well. In Pakistan they only have core classes like science and math, and they only have electives in Pakistan like art and woodshop. Talha explained how teachers are friendly in America, however in Pakistan they are not friendly.