Day 3 – Oracle in Denver

Iowa has awesome freedom of expression laws + other realizations

Rod Satterthwaite, journalism adviser from Michigan, provides his audience with five steps to keep your publication relevant to your student body. 1. Play with traditional journalism 2. Alternative story forms 3. Use humor (wisely) 4. Use social media 5. Write with design in mind

Tanna Jones, Sports Editor

Today I woke up a mess. Ran over two different coffee signs, tripped up the stairs and stubbed my toe on my hotel room door. Our well-known hashtag “#wehaveissues” has never had a serious meaning before now.

I have seen some beautiful and memorable things here in Denver but I could honestly say I wouldn’t want to be here with another newspaper staff.

As a sports editor and a softball/baseball fanatic, I was more than willing to walk around the Rockies stadium, Coors Field, with my partner-in-crime Madi during Thursday’s snowy media tour.

I’ve also met some pretty creative people that have opened my eyes to try new things involving something we all love: the art of writing.

I have never seemed to realize how lucky our community really is. I can speak my mind verbally but also in the written word. Thanks to Tinker vs. Board of Education several years ago that changed the lives of students in Iowa. The freedom of expression law isn’t in all 50 states, and students spoke about how fortunate we are in Iowa.

Going around a circle with people I’ve never met, looking a newspapers that are made so differently from the one that sits in my lap. We at The Oracle have never had to change any type of text in our paper because of disapproval of the AD.

I will continue to use what so many of us aren’t privileged to have while taking a lot of new ideas with me.

XOXO – Your favorite sports editor Tanna Jones