Is technology taking over?

Somerle Rhiner, Reporter

What if you were trying to talk to your parent about a serious issue, but they were blocking you out? How would you feel? Would you feel sad, angry, or maybe even disrespected? How do you think teachers feel when they are trying to give you an education but instead you are on Facebook, Twitter or Snapchat?

Technology use is increasing worldwide, for example, kids are growing up with tablets and smartphones. So instead of going outside and being active like kids should, they are in the house cooped up playing games.

We say, “Only five more minutes”, and before you know it, it’s midnight. Technology affects everyone from doing what they are supposed to be doing. Sometimes I don’t even get my work done because I am constantly checking my phone and scrolling down my newsfeed. Adults are awake for 15 hours and 45 minutes; the average time they spend on technology is 45 percent of their day.

Technology takes up a lot of time during the day like not meeting your goals, staying up late to do work that was supposed to be done, and failing tests because you are not paying attention to what you are supposed to be doing.

This generation is becoming horrible with all this technology. Half of the technology we use isn’t even for educational purposes. First, television was the epidemic; now it is social media. What could possibly be next?

They can be useful if you’re using it for the right thing, other than that, technology is pointless and not useful at all. I wonder what the people would do if they didn’t have their smartphones or their tablets with them? How would they react to the world? How would people interact without using technology to help them get to places? Do you think that the world would be lost without it?

Comment below with your opinion on how students use technology during school hours and after.