Don’t assume

Dont assume

Hannah McNichols, Opinion Editor

Relationships do not mean sex.

Because a boy and a girl are more than friends does not mean they are “doing it.”

I have a boyfriend of three months and no, we don’t plan on “making babies” anytime soon. Three months is not long, but even if it were a year, we are waiting until both of us are ready, even if that means until marriage, or not at all.

We recently took a trip to Chicago, which was amazing. Whenever I tell someone that’s who I went with, the first thing they ask is, “did you guys do anything?”

Yes, we did a lot, including Navy Pier, Sears Tower, and Shedds aquarium.

Oh? That’s not what you meant?

Sleeping arrangements? We slept in the same bed, as in next to each other. Nothing happened, because believe it or not, some people can wait.

To assure you we didn’t, his mom and grandma slept in the bed five feet away from us.

If you’re wondering, yes, I am a virgin. And I say that proudly. I am not in anyway, looking to change that right away. I want to wait. That is my choice.

Why do I want to wait? Not because of religious reasons, but because I’m scared in a way. I don’t want to “give it up” to a guy I’ve been dating for three months. I want to wait until, for God forbid, if we ever did have an accidental pregnancy, I know he would stay and we could raise the baby together.

Most high school kids can’t say that. You don’t want responsibilities, but you will go and have sex, knowing a baby may be the outcome. A baby is a bigger responsibility than any of you could ever imagine.

I was an aunt at the age of six because, at the time, my sixteen-year-old brother had a baby. It was not planned, and they struggle to this day. They are now 25 and 26 and have their fourth child on the way. I don’t want that.

I plan to wait until I am ready for whatever may happen in response to having sex. I want to be able to graduate high school, go to college, get married, and own a house before I even think about kids. I want my future to be happening before I plan any further.

Oh, and Chicago was amazing if you were wondering.