From Little League to College Ball: Kalob Russell

Senior Kalob Russell posing for North High’s spring baseball pictures

Mariah Gibb, Reporter

Senior Kalob Russell arrived to North High specifically for his baseball talents. He has grown to love North, and the people that he has encountered. Russell played third baseman throughout all four years of his high school career, and the baseball family has become some of his closest relationships. Although he has enjoyed his experience, he is ready to move on. Kalob will be graduating North High School with the Class of 2014.

What is your most meaningful friendship at North and why?

“Connor Davis, we play baseball together so he’s apart of the baseball family. I got to know his family pretty well, and we have become really close.”

What is your most meaningful relationship with a teacher at North and why?

“Ms. Foshe, she is friendly and she is always checking up on me to make sure I have done what needs to be done. She looks out for me.”

A regret — what is something you wish you had done differently over the past few years?

“I would have taken my classes more seriously. It would have given me a better GPA, and would have helped with my college searches.”

Best teacher they’ve had and why?

“Major Quinlan has been the best. He is inspirational, and he wants to see me go far.”

Biggest fear for after high school?

“No fears, I’m just ready to get out of high school.”

One thing you would change about North High and why?

“I would change the lunch food because sometimes I want to eat at school, but the food is gross.”

If you could go back to your freshman self, what would you say to him or her?

“I’d tell myself to pay more attention to my grades because they are so important. I would have made sure they were high in all of my classes.”

Did your high school career go as you predicted it would as an eighth grader?

“Yeah, it didn’t go much different than I expected it would. I was focused a lot on baseball.”

How long have you been playing baseball?

“Since the age of four. I played in Grand View Little League then I played for North High.”

What are your plans for after high school?

“I plan to attend Grand View college, and play baseball for them. I also want to travel.”

Where do you want to travel?

“I want to go to Japan because it looks like a fun place to visit.”

What is your dream job?

“I’d like to play in the MLB.”

What is your favorite quote and why?

“A creative man is motivated by the desire to beat others” — “this is my favorite because if you choose to spend time trying to beat other people you won’t focus on improving yourself.”