Loving the Game

Mariah Gibb, Reporter

Walking onto the field full of ability and anxiety, preparing to defeat the opponents. Hoping that all of the time spent strengthening needed skills won’t be wasted. This is the life of North High senior, and baseball player, #18 Kalob Russell.

Russell has been a baseball player since the young age of four when he played for Grand View Little League. Eleven years of his life were dedicated to that little league. Since then he has grown, and his baseball career has only become stronger.

Just last year as a junior, Russell was recognized, and chosen by the CIML coaches at the Central Iowa Conference for the CIML Metro baseball first team. He was the only player chosen from North High.  

Keep focused, [and] don’t let your opponents  effort overcome your own.

— Kalob Russell

Kalob spends his summers down at the baseball field here at North High, who he now plays for. For his team he is a third baseman, and a pitcher. To some it may just seem like an activity to pass the time, but to Kalob it’s his passion.. His dream.

When asked why he dedicates his time to baseball he responded with, “Because I love the game.” His advice for future baseball players, “Keep focused, [and] don’t let your opponents effort overcome your own.”

After high school Russell plans to attend Grand View University where he was offered a baseball scholarship. Throughout college he wants to major in business administration and point his focus towards playing baseball. Hoping to someday either own his own business, or even play in the MLB.

Kalob has set high standards and goals for himself to achieve. His motivation is simple: “I want the feel of accomplishment and the fact that all of my dedication and hard work will pay off.”