Hometown Hero – National Nobody

Learning to love where you have come from.

Leah Waughtal

Picture taken on the North side of Des Moines

Leah Waughtal, Creative Arts Editor

“I can’t wait to get out of here”

Its a mantra that I hear almost everyday. Students complain about the weather, the incessant snowing and sweltering August heat. They say nothing ever happens in Iowa. They mock corn fields and farms, and talk about being the center of no where.

But this place, the streets you’ve mapped out on the inside of your brain is the place you call home. The elementary school you went to, the first kiss you had, playing  in your grandma’s backyard, going to concerts down town and learning to drive in this city. Des Moines’ landscape is like a scrap book covered in your memories.

You belong here. Fight it, if you have to, but its the truth.

You come from downtown farmers markets, crazy fair traffic and summer nights spent at the amphitheater. You were raised on Bbops burgers and corn on the cob. You’ve been taught this specific brand of midwestern ‘niceness’ and it will plague you for the rest of your life.

Every city you will travel to will only be an echo of the town you grew up in. Say what you want, but Iowa is the foundation on which you have created yourself.

Whether you’re a senior and you can’t wait to escape to warm Florida beaches, or maybe to the windy city of Chicago for college, some piece of your DNA will aways be in shape of this state. I know I have fallen in love with other cities.

Two summers ago I went to San Francisco and when it was time to leave, I felt like fighting back tears. It felt like I was supposed to be there. The street art, the perfect 72 degree weather, the side walk chalk covered campuses and vegan food on every corner had me hooked. It fed my soul.

I believe all us will chase a skyline someday. Some of us are already are. But if you fill your suitcase with negativity you will never be able to build a home out of it.

This “I have to get out I here” mentality will eat you alive. It will destroy you. Because what lies beneath it is the concept of fleeing from your problems. The arguments you have with your parents, the ex-best friends you still miss, and all the disappointments you still can’t bring yourself to admit to – will follow you. You must bury them here. In this city. You must lay them to rest and allow yourself to keep moving. Because running away has never solved anything.

Moving somewhere new should be about something more beautiful. Kids all over the country have blamed their hometowns for holding them back, for being responsible for broken dreams and regret. Whatever city you might be running to, has it’s own collection of lost souls who are running from it.

The city of your dreams should embody what you want to become. Exciting, new, innovative, alive and passionate. It should sound like opportunity and taste like the kind of creativity you’ve been craving. It should be the the next chapter, not the first.

You can not forget where you have come from – because without remembrance you would have never accomplished anything.

Savor this. Savor snow storms and movie nights with your Dad. Adore every inch of your beat up car. Unconditionally praise the people who have made you proud to be yourself.

But above most, love this city shamelessly.

You weren’t just raised here, you were made here.

Be more than anger. Mold your paper heart into a love note and leave it for someone here to find. Be happy. Take a deep breath, and let go of all that has weighed you down.

Today you are new again.

Today is the beginning.

Take pride in where you have come from, and be passionate about where you are going. The road to get there, coincidently, begins in the very place you can’t wait to leave.