The Stupendous Six

Brennan Whisler, Reporter

Teyontae, Sam, Terrance, Sekou, Darius, and Jamaal. All are Polar Bears, all are basketball players, and all are in their senior year. This year the boys’ basketball team promises to be more promising than ever before, hopes of a CIML title and a state run is dangled in front of them. For the seniors, it’s a last chance. A last chance to make a name, a last chance to impress scouts, and a last chance to play competitively with childhood friends.

Of the six seniors, four have been connected since elementary and middle school, whether through direct contact or through friends. Teyontae, Sam and Sekou knew each other in elementary and Jamaal came to know them in middle school. Darius and Terrance met the team when they came to North, but they quickly made up for lost time and the result is a likely CIML title, numerous state statistic leaders, a top five ranking, and an almost unbelievable on-court chemistry.

The results speak for themselves: a 13-1 record and the seniors lead the way for the team and Class 4A in multiple categories. Sam is second leading blocker in 4A. Teyontae is first in both free throws made and attempted, he is also number one in assists, and along being fifth in steals he has the third highest point total. Terrance leads 4A in steals, is a top ten member in defensive rebounds and total rebounds, he’s fifth in threes attempted and ninth in threes made, he’s also fifth in FG attempted and in total points.

State leaders lead the way for a hungry Polar Bear team that as of now have beaten state powers such as Ankeny Centennial and Johnston along with CIML titans Roosevelt and Hoover. With a midseason falter to Southeast Polk the Polar Bears have hit their stride by destroying East, Lincoln, and Carlisle by an average of 26 points; don’t forget to throw in a double OT thriller at Ankeny Centennial. With a stretch like that it’s easy to forget the lone loss and the closer then it should’ve beens such as the first East and Lincoln meetings, and the three-point win against a current 4-9 Indianola squad.

They have shown guts, determination, and toughness so far this year. A loss that forced them to stay focused could’ve proven helpful to this team of would be underdogs turned powerhouse. How far they will get as a team is unknown, how far they will get as people is clearer. Most of the seniors have college playing capabilities and those without those talents are more than prepared for the academic side thanks to Coach Ryan’s student first thoughts on student-athletes. Regardless of the future the team and the seniors are winners, all that’s left is how big will they win.