What should the role of a police officer be in a classroom?

Video of confrontation between a South Carolina high school resource officer and student spreads fast on social media

Eleventh grade student Amirah Avant watches the shocking video of the infamous incident. Photo Credit: Angelica Reyes

Angelica Reyes, Co-News Editor

As we have all seen countless times ,social media is a very powerful outlet for information to travel fast, so when the video of a confrontation between a South Carolina high school student and a school resource officer went viralmany the topic came into question if having school police presence was needed or if there are better alternatives when it comes to dealing with misconduct in classrooms.

Many on social media expressed shock at the amount of force the officer used and many believe the action he took was unjustifiable and unlawful, while others argued the girl was not complying with the officer’s demands and had multiple opportunities to do the right thing, but the question now is what will schools do in order to avoid a problems similar to this from happening in their buildings?

In an interview by Michel Martin (NPR) according to Susan Ferriss from the Center for Public Integrity “A lot of judges and psychologists and civil rights attorneys are urging schools and districts to come up with policies for how police should operate in schools, Denver schools have worked on protocols for when police should get involved. In Virginia now, the state has launched a project to offer retraining to all school resource officers”.

Very much after this incident schools are now taking that extra step to offer a better and safe environment for students and facility members to avoid situations like the South Carolina confrontation from happening in their schools.